prev

 

Garfield's Dundee Dam
prev
Dundee Dam
In 1858, an act by the New Jersey Legislature authorized the construction of the present Dundee Dam.  Its purpose was to make the river more navigable and bring water to factories that were popping up along the river.  Built on the foundation of its predecessor, the dam was constructed with locally mined stone and now reaches a height of 20 feet.  It extends 450 feet across the river and was complete in 1859 by the Dundee Manufacturing Co. which was owned by the Society for Establishing Useful Manufacturing. (From the collection of the Garfield Historical Society)